Please be aware that you must have a GP referral before booking a consultation with Dr Murray.
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction, also known as liposculpture, is a surgical procedure designed to remove excess fat from various areas of the body. This procedure helps improve body contouring by targeting and removing pockets of fat cells from specific areas. Common treatment areas include the abdomen, hips, thighs, buttocks, arms, chin, and neck. Liposuction can also be used to treat Lipedema.
At Absolute Cosmetic, we offer several liposuction techniques to meet the unique needs of our patients. These liposuction techniques include Vaser Pro Liposuction, Vaser Smooth, and Hi-def Vaser. Each of these methods offers distinct advantages and can be tailored to your specific goals and preferences.
Lipo, Tumescent Liposculpture, Vibrasat, Vaser Liposuction, Body Sculpting, Body Contouring, Fat Reduction Surgery and Mega Liposuction
Liposuction can treat areas such as the lower and upper abdomen, ankles, arms, the “Banana Fold”, breasts, “Buffalo Hump”, buttocks, calves, chest, chin, jowls, flanks or hips, knees, Monis Pubis, legs, neck, stomach, inner and outer thighs, “Love handles”, and waist.
From $2,200 per area
*Excluding theatre fee, post-surgical garments, post operative medications. An all-inclusive fee will be discussed at time of consultation with Dr Murray.
During a liposuction procedure, there is a maximum limit to the amount of fat that can be safely removed in one session, which is typically around 5 litres. Patients should have realistic expectations regarding the volume of fat that can be removed during a single procedure. If more fat removal is desired, it can be done in multiple stages, with each session being performed a few days apart. However, it’s crucial to approach such “mega liposuction” cautiously to ensure patient safety and minimize potential risks. This staged approach allows for the removal of larger volumes of fat while maintaining safety and optimal results.
Liposuction results can vary from patient to patient, but in general, some initial improvements may be visible as early as one month after the procedure. However, the average time to see full results is typically between three to six months post-surgery. It’s essential to understand that individual factors, such as the specific areas treated, the amount of fat removed, and the patient’s unique healing process, can influence the timeline for achieving optimal results. In some cases, it may take up to one year for patients to realize the full benefits of liposuction. Patients should be patient and follow their surgeon’s post-operative care instructions for the best outcome.
The recommended duration of time off work after liposuction can vary depending on the nature of your job and the extent of the liposuction procedure. Here are some general guidelines:
- Sedentary Jobs: If you have a sedentary job that involves minimal physical activity, you can usually return to work within four to seven days after liposuction. However, it’s essential to listen to your body and ensure you are comfortable before returning to work.
- Physically Demanding Jobs: If your job requires physical exertion or strenuous activities, it’s advisable to take one to two weeks off after liposuction. This additional time off allows for a more comfortable and safe recovery, reducing the risk of complications or strain.
It’s important to note that recovery times can vary from person to person, and some individuals may need more or less time off work depending on their specific circumstances. Always follow your surgeon’s recommendations and consult with them regarding your return to work, as they can provide personalized guidance based on your procedure and individual needs.
Liposuction is a versatile surgical procedure that can be used to treat various areas of the body. Some common areas where liposuction is performed include the ankles, legs, stomach, love handles, arms, chest, neck, chin, jowls, and breasts.
It’s important to note that liposuction is not a weight loss procedure but rather a body contouring technique. It is most effective for individuals who are close to their ideal body weight but have localized areas of stubborn fat that are resistant to diet and exercise. The specific areas treated, and the extent of liposuction will depend on the patient’s goals and the Dr Murray’s recommendations.
VASER Pro Liposculpture
VASER Pro is an advanced and refined technique of VASER Liposuction. It employs ultrasound energy to break down and emulsify fat cells, rendering them more accessible for removal. This innovative approach enhances the precision and effectiveness of the liposuction procedure, allowing for smoother and more accurate fat removal, which can result in improved body contouring and definition.
VASER Smooth is a specialised variation of VASER Pro that focuses on addressing cellulite by targeting the fibrous bands responsible for the uneven and dimpled appearance of the skin. This procedure is designed to disrupt these fibrous bands, leading to a smoother and more aesthetically pleasing skin texture. VASER Smooth can also be combined with traditional liposuction to achieve comprehensive body contouring and enhance the overall appearance.
The Vibrasat is an advanced piece of German-made technology that plays a crucial role in liposuction procedures. It employs a high-frequency vibrating mechanism to aid in the removal of stubborn fat deposits. The handpiece of the Vibrasat vibrates rapidly, typically at a rate of up to 6000 beats per minute, which helps to dislodge and break down fat cells, facilitating their suction and removal from the body.
Beyond its application in traditional liposuction, the Vibrasat handpiece can also be utilized in various cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries, including breast reduction and body contouring procedures. The vibrating mechanism of the Vibrasat has been demonstrated to enhance the precision and effectiveness of these surgical interventions, potentially reducing the likelihood of complications and improving overall patient outcomes.
Hi-def VASER Liposuction represents a specialized variant of VASER liposuction with the specific goal of improving the visibility and definition of underlying muscles. This technique involves the targeted removal of fat deposits around muscles, aiming to create a contoured and well-defined appearance, particularly in areas like the abdominal region.
At our facility, which is licensed as a Day Hospital for liposuction in Perth, we prioritize patient comfort by utilizing neurolept sedation during the procedure. The excess fat is removed using a suction cannula through small incisions, allowing for precise and tailored fat reduction to enhance muscle definition.
Cost of Liposuction in Perth
The cost of liposuction varies based on the number of areas being treated. Liposuction prices start at $2,200.00 per treated area, with an additional theatre fee. For more advanced procedures like Vaser Pro liposuction and Liposculpture, the starting price is $3,300.00 per area, plus the theatre fee.*
In terms of coverage, Medicare typically does not cover the cost of cosmetic liposuction. However, private health insurance may provide coverage for specific aspects of liposuction, depending on the policy and individual circumstances. Liposuction is generally considered a cosmetic procedure and is not typically covered by health insurance unless it is performed for medically necessary reasons, such as addressing conditions like lipedema. It is advisable to consult with your health insurance company and our team to determine your eligibility for coverage based on your medical condition and specific policy.
*Excluding theatre fee, post-surgical garments/cream, post operative medications. An all-inclusive fee will be discussed at time of consultation with Dr Murray.
Factors Influencing Cost of Liposuction
The cost of liposuction is influenced by several factors, making it essential for patients to consider various aspects when evaluating the overall expense of the procedure. One of the primary determinants of cost is the complexity of the liposuction procedure, which can vary based on the amount of fat to be removed and the specific liposuction technique employed.
Additionally, individual factors such as the patient’s body type, overall health, and unique characteristics can impact the overall cost of liposuction. Age can play a role, as older patients may experience reduced skin elasticity, potentially necessitating additional procedures like Renuvion for optimal results. Genetics also contribute, as genetic factors can affect the distribution and retention of fat in certain areas, which can influence the complexity and cost of the procedure.
Given these factors, the cost of liposuction is highly individualized, and each patient’s case requires a personalised treatment plan that considers their unique needs and circumstances. Consultations with Dr Murray to assess the specific factors affecting their procedure will lead to an accurate cost estimate.
Liposuction Payment Options
After your consultation with Absolute Cosmetic, you will receive a comprehensive quote that itemizes all the expenses associated with your liposuction procedure. Our Patient Experience Manager will also be available to provide additional details on payment options during this stage. It’s important to note that we do not endorse any specific financing companies, and we encourage all patients to conduct their own research in this regard. If you need further information or assistance regarding payment options, please don’t hesitate to contact us at (08) 9389 9099 for additional assistance.
Benefits of Liposuction
Liposuction offers various benefits for individuals seeking to enhance their body shape and contour:
- Fat Reduction: Liposuction effectively targets and removes stubborn fat deposits that may be resistant to diet and exercise, resulting in a more toned and sculpted appearance.
- Enhanced Body Contour: By removing excess fat, liposuction can create smoother and more defined body contours.
- Combination Procedures: Liposuction can be combined with other cosmetic procedures, such as breast reductions, to further enhance the overall appearance of the body, providing comprehensive results.
- Medical Conditions: In some cases, liposuction can improve certain medical conditions like lipodystrophy or gynecomastia by removing excess fat deposits that may contribute to discomfort or health issues.
- Customized Results: Liposuction is a versatile procedure that can be tailored to target specific problem areas, allowing for personalized and precise fat removal.
It’s important to consult with a Dr Murray to discuss your individual goals and determine if liposuction is the right option for you.
Ideal Candidates for Liposuction
Liposuction is not a replacement for weight loss or a healthy lifestyle. Instead, it is a cosmetic procedure designed to reshape the body by removing localized pockets of fat that are resistant to exercise and diet. The ideal candidates for liposuction typically possess the following characteristics:
- Stable Body Weight: Candidates should maintain a stable body weight within the “mid-weight” range, as liposuction is most effective when used to address specific areas of fat rather than as a primary method for significant weight loss.
- Good Skin Elasticity: Good skin elasticity is essential for achieving optimal results, as the skin should be able to conform to the new body contours after fat removal.
- Hereditary Predisposition: Some individuals may have a hereditary predisposition to develop collections of fat in specific areas, making them suitable candidates for liposuction.
- Good Physical Health: Candidates should be in good overall physical health to undergo the surgical procedure safely and minimize potential risks.
- Realistic Expectations: It is crucial for candidates to have realistic expectations about the outcomes of liposuction and understand its limitations.
Before considering any cosmetic surgery, including liposuction, individuals should be in good physical health, have a thorough consultation with Dr Murray, and maintain realistic expectations about the procedure’s potential results.
Liposuction Treatment for Lipedema
Lipedema is a chronic medical condition characterised by the abnormal accumulation of fat in specific areas of the body, most commonly in the hips, thighs, and legs. This condition primarily affects women and can lead to various symptoms, including:
- Abnormal Fat Deposits: Lipedema results in disproportionate fat accumulation in the lower body, creating a distinct body shape.
- Pain and Tenderness: Individuals with lipedema may experience pain, tenderness, and discomfort in the affected areas, which can worsen over time.
- Swelling: Swelling, also known as edema, is a common symptom of lipedema, causing the legs and thighs to appear swollen.
- Bruising: Easy bruising and skin sensitivity are often observed in individuals with lipedema.
- Limited Mobility: As the condition progresses, mobility may become limited due to the pain and swelling.
Lipedema is frequently misdiagnosed as obesity, which can lead to frustration and a lack of appropriate treatment. While the exact cause of lipedema remains unknown, several treatment options can help manage the condition. These treatments include: compression garments, lymphatic drainage, and liposuction.
It’s important for individuals with suspected lipedema to seek medical evaluation and diagnosis from an expert in the condition. Proper diagnosis and appropriate treatment can significantly improve the quality of life for those living with lipedema.
Glenn MurrayMedical Director and Owner
Dr. Murray (MED0001196978) leads the team of doctors and health professionals at Absolute Cosmetic, bringing over two decades of full-time experience in cosmetic medicine to his role as Medical Director and Owner of Absolute Cosmetic Perth.
Risks and Potential Complications of Liposuction
Common Liposuction Side Effects/Complications
- Minor irregularities
- Numbness for up to 12 months
- 1 to 12 months for the final result
Like any surgical procedure, liposuction carries some risks and potential side effects. Some possible serious side effects of liposuction may include infection, nerve damage, bleeding and blood clots.
It’s essential to follow the post and pre-operative instructions provided by your doctor to minimise the risk of complications and to ensure a smooth recovery.
How much fat can liposuction remove?
The maximum amount of unwanted fat that can be safely removed in a single liposuction procedure is typically limited to approximately 5 litres. Therefore, it’s important for individuals considering liposuction to have realistic expectations about the results they can achieve in one session. In cases where a larger volume of fat removal is necessary, a cautious approach called “Staged Mega Liposuction” may be employed, involving multiple procedures performed a few days apart. However, this approach must be undertaken with careful consideration and oversight.
In addition to the liposuction procedure itself, maintaining a healthy lifestyle is crucial for achieving long-lasting results. Following a balanced diet and engaging in regular exercise is recommended after liposuction to help maintain the improvements achieved during the surgery. Liposuction is not a substitute for a healthy lifestyle but rather a method of reshaping the body by removing localized pockets of fat that may be resistant to diet and exercise. The reduction in the number of fat cells in the treated areas typically leads to stable and lasting results without significant fat redistribution to other parts of the body.
How long do results last?
The longevity of liposuction results can vary from patient to patient. After a liposuction procedure, the new shape of the body is considered to be more or less permanent because liposuction permanently removes fat cells from the treated areas. However, it’s important to note that if a patient gains a significant amount of weight after liposuction, new fat cells can develop in other areas of the body. Additionally, the remaining fat cells in the body can still increase in size if a person gains weight, which can potentially impact the results of the liposuction procedure.
To help maintain the results achieved through liposuction, it is crucial for patients to maintain a healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced diet and regular exercise. These lifestyle choices can help prevent significant weight gain and ensure that the improvements made during the liposuction procedure remain stable and long-lasting.
How long does it take to see results?
After undergoing a liposuction procedure, there are some important points to keep in mind regarding the recovery and potential side effects:
- Lumpiness: It’s common to feel but not see hard lumps in the treated areas around 2 weeks post-procedure. These lumps can persist for up to 6 months. Over time, these lumps tend to shrink and can contribute to tightening the skin in the treated areas.
- Fluid Lumps: If you notice fluid lumps with a wave-like motion, it’s essential to report this to your healthcare providers. These may be seromas, a rare complication that is usually not severe but can be a nuisance.
- Wound Issues: Any signs of wound infection, such as oozing pus, redness, heat, or swelling, should be immediately reported to your medical team.
- Skin Tightening: While liposuction primarily targets excess fat deposits, it may provide some degree of skin tightening. For additional skin tightening, options like Vaser Pro Lipo or J Plasma Renuvion Skin Tightening can be considered and may be combined with liposuction procedures.
- Limitations: It’s essential to understand that liposuction is not a treatment for excess or loose skin. If you have significant skin laxity, alternative procedures like a tummy tuck may be more suitable.
Overall, the recovery process and outcomes of liposuction can vary from patient to patient, so it’s essential to follow post-operative instructions and maintain open communication with your medical team for the best results.
What to Expect Before Your Perth Liposuction Procedure
In accordance with AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency) protocol, it is a prerequisite to obtain a GP referral for all cosmetic surgical procedures before scheduling a consultation with Dr. Glenn Murray. Additionally, a Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) questionnaire will need to be completed to assess your suitability for the procedure. To facilitate informed discussions and address any questions you may have, informational videos will be sent to your designated email prior to your meeting with Dr. Murray. Following a second consultation with a member of our clinical team, a mandatory 7-day cooling off period will commence. During this time, we strongly encourage you to seek further information and education regarding your desired procedure, as well as consider obtaining a second opinion. After the 7-day cooling off period, you are welcome to proceed with scheduling your procedure and embark on your Absolute Cosmetic journey.
It is imperative to strictly avoid smoking, vaping, and illicit drug use before, during, and after the procedure. Nicotine consumption during the surgical process heightens the risk of complications, infection, delayed healing, or an unsatisfactory cosmetic outcome. Please note that we maintain a stringent cancellation policy for those who continue to smoke or vape. We advise all patients to cease smoking at least 2 weeks before the procedure and to abstain for 6 weeks following the procedure. Reducing nicotine intake does not diminish the risk of complications; the most substantial health benefit is derived from quitting smoking altogether. We highly recommend and encourage the use of nicotine cessation aids during this period. For more comprehensive information regarding potential complications and guidance on quitting smoking, please refer to this resource.
It is vital to note that if you have smoked within the last 2 weeks, the procedure will be canceled, and payment will not be refunded.
To ensure your readiness for the procedure, being in good health is essential. It’s crucial to avoid blood-thinning medications such as aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, fish oil, green tea, and turmeric leading up to the procedure. Additionally, a blood test should be conducted at least 1 week before the scheduled procedure.
On the day of the procedure, fasting is mandatory, meaning you should refrain from consuming food or water for 6 hours prior to your scheduled surgical start time. However, you may take a small sip of water in the morning to consume any pre-surgery medication if necessary. These precautions are taken to optimize your safety and the success of the procedure.
During the Procedure/How Liposuction Works
Tumescent liposculpture is a day procedure that involves the use of local anesthesia and neurolept sedation. During this procedure, a specialized tumescent solution is injected into the areas where fat removal is desired. This solution serves multiple purposes:
- Numbing Effect: The tumescent solution contains a local anesthetic that numbs the targeted area. This numbing effect ensures that the patient does not experience pain or discomfort during the procedure.
- Hemostatic Properties: The solution contains agents that help constrict blood vessels, reducing bleeding during the procedure. This is beneficial for both the patient’s safety and the surgeon’s visibility and precision during fat removal.
- Fat Loosening: The solution also helps to break down and loosen the fat in the treatment area. This makes it easier for the surgeon to remove the fat cells via suction.
By combining these elements, tumescent liposculpture provides a safe and effective method for body contouring and fat removal.
How the surgery works
In tumescent liposculpture, the procedure involves making small, strategically placed incisions in the targeted areas. Through these tiny incisions, a fine hollow metal tube, known as a “cannula,” is inserted. This cannula is connected to a vacuum pump.
Dr Murray, skilled and precise, guides the cannula within the layer of fat. Using a back-and-forth motion, this breaks up the fat cells and suctions them out through the cannula. This process allows for the removal of excess fat from specific areas of the body.
Is liposuction painful?
Recovery from tumescent liposculpture can vary from person to person, and while it is performed under neurolept sedation to ensure comfort during the procedure, the recovery period can still be accompanied by discomfort. Here are some common aspects of the recovery process:
- Pain: Pain is a common concern after tumescent liposculpture. Patients may experience varying levels of discomfort, depending on the extent of the procedure and their individual pain tolerance. You will be prescribed pain relief medication that you will need to fill prior to the surgery. Over-the-counter pain relievers may also be recommended.
- Swelling: Swelling is a natural part of the healing process and is to be expected after the procedure. It can persist for several weeks, gradually subsiding over time. A compression garment regime will be given to you from your post-surgical nurse on how often it is to be worn to help reduce swelling and provide support to the treated areas.
- Bruising: Bruising is another common side effect and can vary in intensity from mild to more pronounced. Bruises typically fade away over the course of a few weeks.
- Compression Garments: Patients are usually required to wear compression garments after the procedure. These garments help reduce swelling, promote circulation, and support the newly contoured areas. They are typically worn for several weeks to aid in the healing process.
- Rest and Recovery: Rest is essential during the initial days following the procedure. While light activity, such as walking, is encouraged to promote circulation, strenuous physical activities should be avoided for a few weeks to allow the body to heal properly.
- Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle: After the procedure, it’s crucial to maintain a healthy lifestyle, including a balanced diet and regular exercise. This can help optimize and prolong the results achieved through tumescent liposculpture.
It’s important for patients to follow post-operative instructions carefully, including medication schedules, garment use, and activity restrictions. Any concerns or unusual symptoms should be promptly reported to the medical team to ensure a successful recovery.
Liposuction Recovery and Aftercare
Immediate Post-Operative Care
Before and after tumescent liposculpture, it’s essential for patients to have a well-organized plan for their post-operative care and recovery. Here are some key points to consider regarding the care and assistance needed during the immediate post-operative period:
- Arranging Transportation: Patients should arrange for a competent adult to pick them up after the surgery. The surgery typically takes 4-5 hours (depending on how many areas you wish to treat), and patients can expect to go home on the same day. The designated caregiver should be capable of assisting the patient and providing support during the initial recovery phase.
- Monitoring Nausea: It’s common for some patients to experience nausea after anesthesia. Patients should promptly inform their nurse or caregiver if they experience any nausea, as appropriate measures can be taken to alleviate it.
- Medication Management: The designated caregiver plays a crucial role in medication management. Patients may feel forgetful or groggy after anesthesia, so the caregiver should administer prescribed medications as directed to ensure the patient’s comfort and safety.
- Assisting with Mobility: The caregiver should assist the patient when moving around, including escorting them to the toilet. Patients should get up slowly to avoid light-headedness. If the patient feels light-headed, the caregiver should help them lie flat and elevate their legs.
- Contact with Medical Team: Your caregiver will be given Dr Murray’s direct contact so that they can contact if any concerns or questions during the first night. Dr Murray will contact caregiver overnight to check on their condition.
- Follow-Up Appointments: Patients typically have a follow-up appointment scheduled for the day after the surgery. During this appointment, the nursing staff will clean the wound areas, and the doctor will assess the patient for any abnormalities.
- Fluid Drainage and Garment: It’s normal for the wounds to ooze a raspberry cordial-colored fluid. Patients should wear old clothing and lie on a towel to manage this drainage. The wounds will usually close over the following day or when the oozing stops. A compression garment will be applied, and patients will receive instructions on how to care for it.
- Showering: Patients are typically advised to avoid showering on the first day after surgery. The medical team will provide specific guidance on when and how to shower post-surgery.
- Avoiding Smoking: Smoking is strictly prohibited during the recovery period. Patients should adhere to this restriction to support the healing process.
Overall, having a capable and attentive caregiver is essential for ensuring a smooth transition from the surgical facility to the post-operative recovery phase. Patients should closely follow all post-operative instructions provided by their nursing team to optimize their recovery and healing after tumescent liposculpture.
Following tumescent liposculpture, it’s essential for patients to adhere to specific guidelines regarding time off work, exercise, and other activities to support their recovery. Here are some important points to consider:
Time Off Work:
- If you have a sedentary job, it’s recommended to take 4-7 days off work after the procedure.
- For individuals with physically demanding jobs, a longer recovery period of 1-2 weeks may be necessary. The exact duration can vary based on the type of work and individual healing.
- The return to exercise can vary depending on individual factors and the extent of the liposculpture procedure. Patients should follow their doctor’s recommendations regarding exercise resumption.
- As a general guideline, patients can typically return to light exercise after one week, moderate exercise after two weeks, and full exercise after three weeks. However, this timeline may differ for each person.
- It’s crucial for patients not to rush back into highly intense exercise. Instead, gradually increase the intensity and monitor how their body responds.
- Swimming and hot tub use should be avoided for at least two weeks or until the wounds have fully healed.
- Intercourse is best avoided for at least one week after the procedure.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited for six weeks post-surgery, and this period can be an opportunity to quit smoking for good.
- Patients should purchase a thermometer and record their temperature daily during the recovery period.
- If a patient’s temperature exceeds 37.5 degrees Celsius, they should promptly report it to the medical staff. Elevated temperature could be a sign of infection or other complications.
Following these post-operative instructions is essential for a smooth and successful recovery after tumescent liposculpture. Patients should prioritize their healing process and closely follow their doctor’s guidance to ensure optimal results and minimize the risk of complications.
Alternatives to Liposuction Surgery
If you’re interested in non-surgical methods to reduce body fat and achieve your body contouring goals, Absolute Cosmetic offers a range of effective alternatives to traditional liposuction surgery. These non-invasive treatments can provide noticeable results without the need for surgical procedures. Some of our non-surgical options include:
*General disclaimer. Patient outcomes can vary due to factors such as genetics, diet, age, exercise, lifestyle, weight, and overall health. It’s essential to understand that all invasive surgeries come with inherent risks and require a recovery period and specific care regimen. Detailed information regarding surgical risks and complications is available here, but it is advisable to conduct thorough research and obtain a second opinion to ensure you are able to make an informed decision. Please note that the information provided is general in nature and does not constitute medical advice or establish a doctor-patient relationship. For real patient images, please visit our Before and After page. Please be advised that surgical outcomes vary, from patient to patient, and comprehensive research is crucial before making any decisions.
Dr. Glenn Murray (AHPRA Registration MED0001196978) Registered Medical Practitioner. General disclaimer: Patient outcomes can vary due to factors such as... genetics, diet, age, exercise, lifestyle, weight, and overall health. It’s essential to understand that all invasive surgeries come with inherent risks and require a recovery period and specific care regimen. Detailed information regarding surgical risks and complications is available here, but it is advisable to conduct thorough research and obtain a second opinion to ensure you are able to make an informed decision. Please note that the information provided is general in nature and does not constitute medical advice or establish a doctor-patient relationship. For real patient images, please visit our Before and After page. Please be advised that surgical outcomes vary, from patient to patient, and comprehensive research is crucial before making any decisions. This website contains imagery which is only suitable for audiences 18+.